[Correction: An earlier version of this article indicted different size tires were being accepted for free. However, the only size tires being accepted for free are passenger vehicle tires that are taken off the rim.]
Scrap tires can be reclaimed and used for good – tire swings, planters, door mats, homebuilding – but they can also be piled on the side of roadways, in rivers or in front yards.
In an effort to keep tires from becoming unsightly litter, the county has teamed up with Keep Pickens Beautiful for Great American Cleanup Month to offer free tire recycling in April.
Each Pickens family can recycle up to four tires at the Pickens County Recycling Cycling Center on Camp Road.
Pickens County Marshal Jim Harvey said he is constantly trying to stay ahead of tires that are dumped on the side of the road, and encourages residents to take advantage of the opportunity to clean up the county. Just last week he picked up six in one day and disposed of them quickly to discourage more dumping in the future.
“We try to get the dump sites cleaned up as soon as we locate them,” Harvey said. “That keeps others from thinking it’s okay to dump.”
Not only are tires eyesores, they collect rainwater, which attracts mosquitoes. Keep Pickens Beautiful wants to remind residents that mosquito-breeding season is upon us, and “with it brings the West Nile Virus and the possible of other viruses. KPB urges all of our county residents to dispose of any tires you have lying around. Let’s eliminate the mosquito breeding places cleanup our county and protect our environment.
“The Great American Cleanup is like a puzzle, if everyone does a small part in the cleanup the whole big job will be completed, piece by piece.
Find out how you can have a part in the Great American Cleanup by calling 706-253-3600 for information.
The Pickens County Recycling Center is located at 3141 Camp Road, Jasper, Ga. They can be reached at 706-253-8871.
EVENT PLANS FOR GREAT AMERICAN CLEANUP
• PICKENS COUNTY – CLEAN UP – TIRE AMNESTY
• CITY OF JASPER – EACH SATURDAY IN APRIL THE CITY WILL PICK UP CURB SIDE BRUSH, LIMBS, ETC. SEE WATER BILL FOR DETAILS.
• CITY OF NELSON – DAILY LITTER PICK UP THROUGH OUT NELSON.
• TOWN OF TALKING ROCK – WORK TO RESTORE PARK
•TRASH DAY FOR ODD ITEMS
• TATE COMMUNITY- TREE PLANTING AT DEPOT
• ALL SCHOOLS – CLEANUP AND BEAUTIFY
• ADOPT A ROAD VOLUNTEERS – PICK UP THEIR ASSIGNED ROADS
• SHREDDER – Saturday APRIL 16TH 9:00 TO NOON
• OPERATION CLEAN SWEEP NOON - FINISHED
• SPRUCE UP THE MURAL IN DOWNTOWN JASPER
• KPB OFFICE SPRUCE UP THE GROUNDS