Get Adobe Flash player

Carbon Monoxide poisoning blamed in Bent Tree deaths

    A preliminary autopsy shows carbon monoxide poisoning likely killed a Bent Tree couple whose bodies were discovered in their home November 3.

   The bodies of Richard and Wanda Zimmerman were discovered after security officers in Bent Tree went to their home to check on them after their water bill had gone unpaid. The unpaid bill was judged to be out of character for the homeowners.

   Sheriff Donnie Craig said the couple had been using a kerosene heater inside the home. Craig said a test of the heater showed it was giving off high levels of carbon monoxide.

 

According to the Centers for Disease Control website, “Carbon Monoxide (CO) is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. CO can build up indoors and poison people and animals who breathe it.”

         About 400 Americans are killed by carbon monoxide poisioning each year, according to the CDC.

         See more safety tips at the CDC website. Full story in next week’s Progress.

 

 

progress square