The Roberts House evolved over the years into the beautiful present day house.
By Larry Cavender
For approximately 160 years, the house has stood on a prominent hill overlooking Ball Ground which is entirely appropriate because it is the home of one of the city's founders and most prominent families. The Roberts' House, which was built around 1855, is the only residence in Cherokee County listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been the home of the Roberts family since A. W. Roberts, one of Ball Ground's founding fathers, purchased the house and property around 1887.
Alfred W. Roberts was born in 1844 and served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. In 1879, he married Althea Georgia Ann Coggins, whose family was associated with many early business ventures in the Canton, Georgia area. Roberts was a charter citizen of Ball Ground, which was incorporated in 1883, and was a merchant, banker, real estate developer, and cotton broker in the town's early years.